Saturday 14 March 2015

Last knockings

Here be Chub!

It's always a bit hectic for me at the tail end of the coarse fishing season - I have even more of a desire to go fishing than I normally do.....last gasp effort and all that before the 14th March.



The last couple of weeks have seen me chance my arm at anything and everything on the Stour, Avon and small streams of Wessex including the jewel that is the Ebble. The full range of weather conditions too. Freezing, balmy, cold SE winds, warming spring sun, poachers moon and ice cold rain have made it challenging to say the least. 






Some huge fish have been caught as I trundle along just doing my thing - today is seasons end and I will be fishing where I always fish on this day, the lovely Upper Stour. The maggots are ready (curried of course), bread has been liquidised, big tub of lobs and away we go!



Only a short break until it all starts again with the trout and before we know it the mackerel will be in and it will be June 16th as the fisherman's year continues on its watery way.  


Here be Grayling!

2 comments:

The Two Terriers said...


That little River Ebble looks wonderful Dickie. The season is over again but three pike over 20lb and plenty in double figures since Mid-October leaves me happy. I went yesterday, see tomorrow's blog, and took very old maggots and casters and caught some nice roach up to a pound trying to catch fresh bait so that topped the year off nicely.

All the best, John

Dickie Straker said...

Sounds like my day John, 40 roach to 1lb 3oz in a freezing wind and the Bluebirds won, very happy! You had a fab pike season, that is super! Only a few weeks until the fly gear comes out. TTFN Dickie