Wednesday 11 April 2018

Rings of apple


The joy of the improving weather is not just about the butter being spreadable for the first time in months, oh no, the pottering and bimbling goes up a gear especially in the garden. I have had a few good pruning sessions this winter and now have enough kindling or starting wood to last a few seasons.

The larger boughs need more effort, so it was a joy to finally saw through the pile and add to the drying pile - as all wood obsessives know, you can never have enough and it will be added to with foraged and found wood over the coming months.



There is also something quite pleasing about the piles of sawdust - the different shades of each species with apple and plum my favourite......it almost has an orange tinge which is pleasing coupled with its tangy fragrance - I have bags and tins of it - it causes amusement that I keep it, but I do really like it mixed with my maggots when the coarse fishing season begins in June. It takes me back to childhood when all maggots came with sawdust and tackle shops smelt of sawdust, oil, varnish and canvas...heady happy days.  


4 comments:

The Two Terriers said...


A great weed mulch to keep weeds down too Dickie. Good to see you back again. John

Champ said...

We have enough dry logs to last this season,i hope!.My stash is in the end of a poly tunnel that unfortunately was damaged by snow so are wet.I will have to find another dry spot to use for next winters fuel.

Bureboyblog said...

I used to hunt out sawdust for maggots, now its maize meal all the way. Do like the idea of varital saw dust though......terroir and all that

Dickie Straker said...

Thanks BB, Champ and TT - I find the sawdust so appealing, same at school with pencil sharpenings...almost couldn't throw them away!! Great for maggies though with a little curry piwder! TTFN Dickie