Sunday 22 January 2017

One in a million

I was a shy 18 year old I guess. Just filling up my battered old Volvo with fuel after a day's fishing on the River Wye. Bennetts Garage will always have a special place in my heart. I looked out from the shop at the forecourt and there was some bloke standing by my car. Who the fucks that I thought? I hope he's gone when I get back - he hadn't. 

A guy in a green camo shirt and black trilby looking like a cool Dick Walker was waiting for me - "just spotted those cane rods in the back of your car, I'm mad on fishing, where have you been?" - three hours later we are still on the forecourt. 

They say first meetings are the time that likings are made and they were that day 30 years ago - he gave me a pink business card, for he was an antique dealer from Ealing - The Duke of Bedford Park and he would be moving west to Herefordshire soon - could we keep in touch he asked - "I can't call you Dickie though, already know one of those, it will have to be Rick" - we kept in touch.

Pete Overend Watts became my closest, dearest, lovely friend that day and earlier this afternoon we lost him. I was expecting the call, but it still knocked me down and I feel shattered writing this, but I just felt the need to.

He filled my life with joy. Every moment cherished. We had some magnificent adventures and memories that I will treasure and I am so sad that we won't have any more.

He had such a brave journey these last sixteen months - so brave and so dignified and there were moments of magnificent humour. He sent me this song a short while ago - I make no apologies, it is sad, but one he loved.

I just can't write anymore, the sadness is too great, I have a glass here to share with you son and my love shines bright and my friendship will last forever, Rick







2 comments:

The Two Terriers said...


The worst feeling in your world. John

Have another malt

Champ said...

So sorry for your loss.My sincere condolences.