Monday 8 December 2014

Wakey wakey!


I do like a ladybird. I haven't come across anyone that doesn't like them. Do they nip is the most common question I am sure. Of the 46 species found in the UK only 26 look like the classic brightly coloured and patterned ladybird such as 2-spot, 7-spot and 10-spot. 


The sun came out the other day to warm the windows on what was a chilly December day. On opening them I found hundreds of ladybirds in all the nooks and crannies. They were active within minutes. It was a heck of a job to close them again without damaging any of these splendid beetles. I'll leave them in peace now to enjoy Christmas and take another look when the weather warms up in the spring. 


Well, do they nip? I remember as a child feeling the nip of a ladybird and the Harlequin, which is now common on these shores, has been known to take a bite. They really only have a nibble when it is very dry and the plants can't provide the water they need - watch out if we have a drought next year!


No comments: