Tuesday 2 December 2014

A different kind of thud!


The apple harvest at my folks orchard has not been as good this year - it goes like that sometimes and all the usual guff about warm springs, wet springs, cold springs and that is before we even get on to blossom sort of makes sense, but at the end of the day I think it just gives the apple grower something to talk about.

I was pleased that we did manage a decent crop of my personal favourite the Ashmead's Kernel. I search each year for new apples to try and think one day that a variety which is new to me will beat the Kernel, but it hasn't yet. Some have come close, but the AK is still top of the charts.

This Gloucestershire variety is picked in late October / early November and eaten from now until February.

They make a tremendous thud as they hit the ground and I am pleased that the Fieldfares and Redwings have not yet arrived as it would be a race to see who got to them first - they love them just as much as me.

This bowl full is no more - part of the five a day alongside a pile of cheese, chutney and crackers! Worry not though - a few more are stored and ready to take their place to get me through the next few weeks.



2 comments:

The Two Terriers said...


The fieldfares and redwings are here in west norfolk Dickie…

All the best, John

Dickie Straker said...

Still no sign here John. It's cold enough for them. I love them especially within the landscape of a winter fishing trip! Ttfn Dickie