Monday 5 December 2016

How old are yew?


This mighty fine specimen of a Yew is reputed to be over 1,500 years old. I was first acquainted with it back in the late 1980's. I was fishing a lovely little pool a short walk away and decided to take a late summer stroll over to the delightful church of Much Marcle. I returned recently and not much has changed. I have not returned to the pool however. There was something always not quite right about the place - I am sure we all fish places where you occasionally keep looking over your shoulder, well, this was such a place. Two Terriers put it perfectly, you whistle loudly on your way back to the car! The atmosphere was not one of welcome, it became dark and brooding very quickly. I wasn't the only one who thought the same. The church and its environs are quite the opposite and I do hope that this Yew is still standing and observing all who come and go for another 1,500 years. Look at the last picture below - How many faces can you see on the bark inside the Yew?





2 comments:

The Two Terriers said...


Great stuff Dickie. Did you know Yew is a soft wood, A wood freak and bow maker told me years ago. That was interesting. John

Dickie Straker said...

It hadn't clicked really John, but now you come to mention it the inside of this tree is very soft - all sorts of bugs and beasties live in it! The berries are nice but don't chew the seeds, your'e a gonner if you do!! TTFN Dickie