Thursday 29 December 2016

Christmas Surrealism


An opportunistic trip to Tate Britain to view the quite wonderful Paul Nash exhibition was the perfect adventure during the festive season. I was greeted in the foyer by Shirazeh Houshiary's stupendous upside-down Christmas tree which I could smell before it came into view. The perfect start.

I won't give too much away, but if you are a follower of Nash then it is obviously one you must go and see. The sight of his work, so much of his work, I found not only overwhelming but deeply moving. 

The amount of art that was on display from private collections and the associated ephemera will stay with me for a long time.  

Eileen Agar is also represented - I felt this really enhanced the exhibition and I was really pleased to see some of her pieces on show due to her very close Nash liaison. 

I enjoyed it so much that I fully intend to visit again before it ends in early March next year.


Eileen Agar - Ladybird (1936)

No comments: