Friday 31 July 2015

Avon blank


I am not fond of the fishing term "blank" - otherwise known as a blank day, catching nothing or blanking. How can you ever have a blank day? Yes, you may sometimes not catch a fish, but you are always the richer for time spent by running or still waters. 



I didn't catch on this Hampshire Avon trip, but I wasn't just fishing for any old fish. The carp that inhabit my particular stretch are mouth watering beyond belief. All can be quiet and nothing stirs in the crystal clear waters and then suddenly ghosts appear the size of battleships. They home in on the free offerings but there is much in the way of natural food to tempt them, so it doesn't take much for them to move on.



They moved on - my line remained motionless and I was left to enjoy the bird life, hornets and the Spitfire which flew over. Definitely not a blank day. 

I have fished for carp quite often on the Avon and I freely admit that it feels weird. Almost like I shouldn't be doing it, but I just can't help myself. The nearest I guess to my much loved wildies, these king carp have no names, no photographic record from birth and have most likely never been caught before. That's good enough for me.

  

No comments: