Monday 7 July 2014

On the cusp!


We are at that time of the year when all of a sudden we will be hit with a glut - it creeps up on you, but you know it's coming! We got going in the greenhouse early this year and have been rewarded over the last few weeks with our first tommies (Sungold), cucumbers, salad and herbs. 





The Captain put about nine different varieties of spuds in the veggie patch and we are already getting stuck into the first early planting of Lady Christl - don't ask me what the others are (not my department) but I do know we have Home Guard and Pink Fir Apple somewhere in the bed. I get told to dig!






The raspberries need picking twice a day, strawberries still coming, plums and apples firming up nicely, chillies and peppers coming along and courgette too.............there's a long way to go, but we are ready for pickling, jamming, brewing and preserving if we can't eat any straight away! The preserving pan has already seen action with the first batch of redcurrant jelly and a huge amount of jumble berry vodka (every red berry!) is on the go for the festive season. We are on the cusp of plenty and enjoying it very much!  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done Dickie.Some lovely pictures.The mild spring really made for a good start this year.I dont think that we had much frost after Easter.

Dickie Straker said...

Thanks Champ - we were indeed lucky on the frost front. You will be pleased to hear that 40+ pints of beer are also brewing as I write! Just to keep me ticking over you understand. TTFN Dickie

The Two Terriers said...


The season of plenty Dickie, a wonderful time. As I walk the terriers I pass lax ton's early plum trees each way. it's very difficult not to OD on them. Even the JR's like them.

All the best, John