Tuesday 8 July 2014

How rude!


Phallus impudicus

I could smell this specimen long before I clapped eyes on it - it really is a foul stinker! A rather rude shroom known as the common stinkhorn (Phallus impudicus). When I walked past it again later it was covered in flies. The flies are what carry the spores about - the olive coloured head of this specimen is no more as the flies have done their worst. Believe it or not they eat this in France when it is young - haven't quite got round to it yet myself.................nor likely to in the future. I just don't fancy it. Has been known also as: Witch's egg, Pricke mushroom, Hollanders workingtoole, Phallus hollandicus - take your pick as they all imply rudery.

Phallus impudicus

Psathyrella hydrophila

1 comment:

The Two Terriers said...


If you go down to the woods today…

John