Wednesday 22 January 2014

Market Finds No 9

I have a bit of a Market Finds backlog, even with the weather being so grim I have managed to find the odd nugget of treasure. This is quite a large nugget, possibly a jewel.

This huge framed and glazed print by Edwin La Dell (1951) caught my eye - I nearly missed it as it was tucked away, but the scene looked familiar. A Thames fishing scene not too dissimilar to the one provided by me old mucker and last of the Thames Professionals Styx (Roger Wyndham Barnes) perhaps? It is now hanging in its rightful place - my living room!

Edwin La Dell - Fishing at Marlow (1951)

After paying and lugging it back up the hill to home I cleaned it up and was overjoyed to discover it came from and once hung in a Lyons Tea Room and is indeed a Thames scene at Marlow. See the lovely boat houses in the background, tins of worms in the punt no doubt to maybe tempt an elusive barbel. Maggots in bran too I shouldn't wonder and pale ale cooling in the rivers sweet waters to compliment a pork pie lunch.

I particularly like the round faced gentleman and the way the standing angler is holding the line from the pin dressed in fishing mackintosh.

Edwin La Dell - Fishing at Marlow (1951)

The splendid River and Rowing Museum at Henley (home of the magnificent AE Hobbs collection of cased fish) knew all about my find of course and directed me to this on their website! Three cheers for Lyons Tea Rooms!

4 comments:

The Two Terriers said...


Fantastic, We used ti fish the Thames a lot when we lived in Sandhurst and Mike, our son, coxed and sculled on the river at Pangbourne. Some of the fish he saw early morning were heart stopping.

Great image though and everyone should visit that museum, if it hasn't floated away.

Glad you're back. John

Dickie Straker said...

Thanks John - the museum is stupendous, the collection of AE Hobbs fish stunning. I dream of Lyons Tea Rooms! TTFN, Dickie

Black_Buzzer said...

I have one of Clare Bridge on the Cam from the same series. They are massive when they are framed up! La Dell was my wife's father's cousin. We're just starting to find out more about him.

Dickie Straker said...

What a super story and thanks for sharing! Yes, they are huge when framed. Good luck with your La Dell search - I have noticed an upsurge in his popularity recently - I think the V&A have a line of cards and notebooks etc for Christmas with his art on them. All the best, Dickie