Wednesday 27 September 2017

The lure of the lucky float


I am a person and also a fisherman who believes in superstition and the good luck associated with items, happenings and likings. None more so than the major tool of my past time which is the humble float.


The same old floats come out. Each one loved, fondled and admired over the years and hopefully the years to come - there is the one given to me by Mr Crabtree (Bernard Venables) which is a lovely worn porcupine quill. I am now so scared to use this float that it remains in my float tube as I nearly lost it once. I feel its power rubbing off on my other lucky floats - some hand made by friends, some once owned by dear friends and others gifts from friends. Each one has its own story which sticks to it like groundbait or pond slime.



The last few trips to fish my favourite ancient crucian pond have seen me use a different float on each occasion. Each one a lucky float or one I have taken a liking to along my fisherman travels. There was the small balsa float someone brought into the office along with some of the tiniest porcupine quills I have ever seen - "would you like them?", "oh, yes please, they will be loved and looked after and more importantly they will kiss the water again"...........sometimes lucky floats just find you.



Then there are the gifts from friends which are the best of all - these delightful crucian floats are so delicate they detect the gentle nibblings of dainty feeding crucians. As the writer Arthur Sharp put it in his wonderful book - pleasing in appearance and even more pleasing in disappearance. I can say no better than that.

3 comments:

The Two Terriers said...


Lovely Dickie, I'm out this afternoon on a recon. Had tip on a drain from a farmer and a drainage board tractor dredger man... Will report back. John

Bureboyblog said...

My current favourite is a newer fangled Drennan wire stemmed 7bb Avon, the wire stem is getting rather bent but it still gets dragged under ok so I'm not changing yet.

Dickie Straker said...

Glad you are getting out TT - saw the pics of your super pike! Noithing wrong with a new fangled BB, they all have a story and create their own history! TTFN, Dickie