Wednesday 21 June 2017

Living the dream


The build up to the big day is like no other - well, maybe Christmas, for I have the same feelings and likings at both times of the year. The Glorious Sixteenth is such a day in the traditional anglers year. Plans laid down, tackle accumulated, cakes made and my dreams will hopefully become reality.

As regular readers will know, my season starts as it always has done. Same place, same friends, same old, same old - I wouldn't have it any other way. My pal Demus said many years ago on opening day "we are living the dream, enjoy it, for it may not last". I know what he meant, we were living the dream and thankfully we still are, but as always on opening day I think of those who are no longer with us and who enjoyed these days so much. Never forgotten.

Whisky toasts are made at midnight, the magnificent rocket is launched to many an ooh and aahh and we laugh like naughty school boys........living the dream.

The tools of our trade are quill floats and all home made affairs. Each one has a story and as each season passes more stories get added. Our bait is simple. Like our floats, our group grows older each year, but our love of these most special times grows ever bigger in our fisherman hearts. 









4 comments:

The Two Terriers said...


Excellent post. Mysterious pool, lovely floats(!) Still haven't managed a trip yet but we'll get there.

John

Bureboyblog said...

Splendid day. We can fish all year round these days but the 16th is always special. Sentimental tosh? We are old enough now to indulge ourselves a little.

Dickie Straker said...

I thought you would like the floats TT - treasured! Hope you manage to get out soon.

I know we can fish all year BB, but I have always stuck to the seasons - all my angling life. Gives me a chance to do some of the other daft things I like to do! TTFN Dickie

The Essex Scribbler said...

Yes, great post Dickie. Carpe diem is an overused quote. but nevertheless is still a great motto to live by.