Monday 10 February 2014

What's the secret?

I love fly fishing, but fly fishing books bore the pants off me...............well, the majority of them do. I don't quite know what it is, but something to do with all the macho posturing with gear and making everything over technical for the sake of it. It doesn't help matters and means fly fishing titles are thin on the ground in my library.

The only writings I have really enjoyed are those by Bernard Venables, Oliver Kite and more recently Charles Rangeley-Wilson. They are all noticers. Notice the world around them and most certainly like to smell the herbage along the way.

There is one writer though, one that I got into more recently, that really hits the spot for me and he has a new book coming out in April. The mighty John Gierach. This short piece of footage is a joy - roll on the Spring!



What's the secret? Go ahead and do what you think you want to do!

3 comments:

The Two Terriers said...

You're right Dickie, I can't even watch the standard TV fare on flyfishing. That Welsh bloke drives me mad, there is just no' class' and there should be. They make the interesting, thoughtful and stimulating pastime/obsession that is flyfishing just plain crass.

Then there's the other end where the presenter is so far up his own technical fundament they're a sleeping draught.

I haven't been out with Charles R-W yet this season, your man is too busy for fishing. Now that's serious. A pity really because we are catching pike and perch plus others!

All the best to you and yours, John

PS The Terrier book is going in that august publication The Field. I must buy a pair of matching Purdeys… not

Dickie Straker said...

I totally agree John. The latest Orvis catalogue arrived in the post today. Nothing against Orvis, but hells teeth iv'e never seen so many daft photographs and tackle you just don't need!

Great news about your fab book! We love it and can't wait for the next one! TTFN, Dickie

The Two Terriers said...

Thanks Dickie, it's wild up here and last night was terrible. One of the two JRs, Minnow, was running round the kitchen barking at the din as tables flew, plant pots crashed and chairs and buckets flew through the air. She ended up sleeping on my feet and I'm still not sure who was most comforted.

Do I go for the Pike this pm? Its still blowing and when I went out this morning the waves on the small drains were afoot high, that's on a drain ten feet wide. Love the BV pictures by the way, a proper angler.